Although a Star Wars themed runDisney race weekend has been the worst kept secret in the running community, the specifics were always fuzzy. WHERE would the Star Wars race be and WHEN would it take place? Those have been the biggest questions runDisney race fans have been asking in anticipation of today's announcement. I had hoped it would be in January 2015 at the Disneyland Resort, since that race weekend slot was left vacant after runDisney moved Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekend to May 2015. I understand how event planning works, and I know Disney had to fill that January slot with an event. Thankfully, it is indeed a new inaugural race at the Disneyland Resort. My happy place!
As always, there are some upset runDisney fans. Personally, I am thrilled about the race. (Although - as a side note - I am disenchanted with the overall selling out of the Star Wars franchise. I am a huge Star Wars fan, it was a large part of my childhood and it hurts me to see it cheapened, but that is another post for another day.) I love runDisney, and while the growing pains haven't been particularly fun to watch, I still love running the races and I still love what it has brought to my life. I am, first and foremost a Disneyland fan, and every time I run through that park it is like the first time. I love it and look forward to this new race experience.
Below are the top 5 Star Wars Marathon Weekend complaints and my thoughts on each:
- Registration date and prices: The race registration fees (listed at the end of this post) are steep & registration opens up next week!
**AGREED. There is no time to save. There is no time to really think about it. Do or do not, there is not try. I pay for everything I do out of my own pocket so I understand this frustration.**
- Race location: The East Coast is mad the race is not at WDW.
**Disneyland needs more runDisney events. Our weather in January is better and race weekends at the Disneyland Resort are a breeze compared to WDW. It's a bummer flights are so expensive. It is what it is. And by that I mean, it's just a race. If you can't afford it, don't dwell on it. You've got plenty of rD races to choose from at WDW. I'm dying to run Tower of Tower 10 miler, but the reality is I may never be able to. Can't run them all. (Insert sad face.)**
- Race date conflict with Castaway Cay Challenge: The people who are on the Disney Cruise - because they chose to participate in the Castaway Cay Challenge after running a race at WDW - are mad that they can't make it back from the Caribbean in time to fly from FL to CA for the Star Wars 5K. They will have to "settle" for "only" running the Star Wars 10K and Half Marathon.
**Seriously!? Did you read those sentences? If this is what you are upset about, be thankful for the life you have. Count your blessings.**
- Tinker Bell Half Marathon was moved for Star Wars?!: Many are upset that Tinker Bell Half Weekend was bumped from January 2015 to May 2015 and assume it is Darth Vader's fault. They would rather the Star Wars Race be in May and Tink in January.
**First the women complained because Princess Half Marathon (February) and Tinker Bell Half Marathon (January) were too close together and they couldn't afford both races/trips in order to earn the Coast to Coast medal. Now women are mad Tinker Bell was moved to Mother's Day weekend in May seemingly because of the Star Wars race. Here's the deal: Mother's Day weekend is a terrible choice, I agree. My daughter's prom and/or graduation events may be taking place on Mother's Day weekend next year while Tink Half is happening. Am I mad? No. I'm an adult. I prioritize. My family wins every round. I'm can't blame runDisney or Vader for my obligations.**
- runDisney should have told us all the race dates in advance: Many are upset runDisney didn't disclose this race information when registration opened for WDW Marathon Weekend. In retrospect, many would have registered for Star Wars instead, but not both since they are back-to-back weekends.
**AGREED. Sort of. I do wish they had a race calendar they released 6 months to a year in advance like a real race organization. Unfortunately, quite often it seems as though there is no method to their madness when it comes to their own calendar. However, I had an inkling there would be a January Disneyland race, so I avoided registering for Dopey 2015. Dopey isn't going anywhere. If people had just waited - they wouldn't be facing a dilemma now with trying to figure out how to defer. I can't run them all and that's OK. Think twice before you register for every single rD race because you never know what may be around the corner!**
Regardless as to who is happy and who is not, the Star Wars race is here. It's real and I am excited! I do live with a wookiee after all!
Events, Entry Fees and Deadlines*:
Sunday, January 18, 2015
- $195 by July 22, 2014
- $210 between July 23 and August 19, 2014
- $225 on or after August 20, 2014
Saturday, January 17, 2015
- $105 by July 22, 2014
- $120 between July 23 and August 19, 2014
- $135 on or after August 20, 2014
Friday, January 16, 2015
- $70 by August 23, 2014
- $80 on or after August 24, 2014
Star Wars Rebel Challenge (10K plus Half Marathon)
Saturday, January 17 & Sunday, January 18, 2015
- $320 by July 22, 2014
- $345 between July 23 and August 19, 2014
- $370 on or after August 20, 2014
Saturday, January 17, 2015
- $20 by August 23, 2014
- $25 on or after August 24, 2014
Thursday, January 15, 2015
9:30 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.
- Under 3 - $0
Thursday, January 15
Friday, January 16
Saturday, January 17
- Bronze - $0
- Silver - $45
- Gold - $69
- Platinum - $99
- Under 3 - $0
Are you mad, sad or glad? Most importantly, will you be taking the Rebel Challenge next January? If so, we hope to see you there.