Silicon Valley Comic Con Blazes Back to San Jose
Steve Wozniak‘s Silicon Valley Comic Con blazes back into San Jose for its second year April 21-23. The Woz's Comic Con is different from every other Comic Con in that it fuses pop culture + science, technology and space exploration into one amazing only-in-Silicon-Valley premier geek event. This year's theme is “The Future of Humanity: Where Will We Be in 2075?”
Coming from the mind of the Woz, a man who wants to travel to Mars for real, and comic book legend Stan Lee, the Silicon Valley Comic Con drew a crowed of 60,000 last year and is literally taking over all of San Jose. Events will take place inside the San Jose McEnery Convention Center, the convention center’s South Hall, City National Civic and Plaza de Cesar Chavez.
One of the biggest events taking place: the 30th-anniversary cast reunion of “Star Trek: The Next Generation”. The ticketed event is hosted by William Shatner and features Jonathan Frakes (Commander Riker), Marina Sirtis (Counselor Troi), Brent Spiner (Data), Gates McFadden (Dr. Crusher), Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar / Commander Sela) and Robert O’Reilly (Gowron).
My favorite addition to the event this year, and proof that the Woz is the kind of local guy that gives back to his city, is the FREE SVCC Festival in the Park. He was actually a teacher in Los Gatos after he left Apple, so education and kids are important to him. The SVCC Festival in the Park has plenty to entertain kids and adults.
Plaza de Cesar Chavez (located off South Market Street behind City National Civic) will boast a series of fun interactive events during the free park festival. The weather looks great this weekend, so I say use the light rail and bring the kids!
Featured activities will include:
- Outdoor stage featuring performances, comedians, trivia games and contests, musicians and more
- Second stage for local bands
- Lagunitas Brewing Company Beer Garden & Winery
- Food Trucks & Food Vendors
- Outdoor Artists Alley
- Sony PlayStation & Oculus Pop Up Demo Stations
- SVCC Science Fair: Saturday & Sunday from 11am - 3pm
- Saturday: “Save the Planet” (Earth sciences for Earth Day)
- Sunday: Future Tech (robots and space travel)
- San Jose Public Library’s Maker [Space]Ship Truck
- Rover.com Dog Cosplay Contest
- Water Stations Provided by Essentia Water
- Evening Movie Screenings
- Picnic Tables & Areas to Relax
- Interactive Exhibits, Vendors & more
Friday, April 21: 5pm - 10pm
Saturday, April 22: 10am - 10pm
Sunday, April 23: 10am - 5pm
The star-studded guest list includes celebrities, authors, artists and science and tech gurus. Among them: astronaut Buzz Aldrin, actor John Cusack, “The Flash” star Grant Gustin, 1960s “Batman” TV stars Adam West and Burt Ward and ’70s film star Pam Grier.
And Gary Fisher.
I am most excited about the cast of "Sesame Street" of being on hand! They will be hosting a panel this weekend as well.
Other events include:
- ScreenUsed Auction
- "The Flash" panel
- Join the Empire - wth the 501st Legion
- Dog cosplay contest
- The Geek Fashion Show
Silicon Valley Comic Con
Dates & Times:
- April 21 5-9 p.m.
- April 22 10 a.m.-7 p.m
- April 23 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- City National Civic, 135 W. San Carlos St., San Jose
- San Jose Convention Center 150 W. San Carlos St., San Jose
- FREE outdoor events at Plaza de Cesar Chavez Park, 1 Paseo de San Antonio, San Jose
Schedule and ticket information: www.svcomiccon.com.