CravOn Thanksgiving Fake Out: Meatless Potato Mushroom "Stuffing" Recipe
With the holidays on the horizon and my waistline finally at a size that makes me somewhat happy, the time has come to think about healthy Thanksgiving recipes. CravOn is hosting a Thanksgiving Fake Out contest featuring easy, better-for-you recipes using CravOn fries. The prize? A $250 gift card & a CravOn prize pack! So, I started a Pinterest board to get inspired and created my own, healthy version of stuffing.
Don't get me wrong, my mom makes the B E S T stuffing. Ever. I crave it all year, and I'll still eat it at Thanksgiving. But, I need a healthy, meatless alternative in my holiday recipe box as well. I came up with a really hearty version that omits bread, trans fats, and meat - but still packs a ton of flavor and is super simple to make.
Meatless Potato Mushroom "Stuffing" (makes 5 servings)
- 1/2 package (4 cups) CravOn Anytime Diced Fries
- 1/2 white onion, cut in half again and thinly sliced
- 10 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 fresh springs of thyme, diced (about 1/2 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, diced and separated (1 tbs for cooking, 1tbs for garnish)
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon (or less if you don't like spice) red pepper flake
- pinch of sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- optional: 2 thin slices of lemon to squeeze over potatoes when serving
- extra virgin olive oil
- Follow CravOn cooking directions for the Anytime Diced Fries. (Tweaks: I place mine on parchment paper and only cook them until just finished - about 20 minutes.)
- While fries cook, add the following to pan and sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes: onion, thyme, parsley, nutmeg, coriander seed, red pepper flake, salt, pepper
- After 3 minutes add the mushrooms and sauté another 3 minutes
- Lower heat a bit, add the 2 cloves garlic and sauté for 2 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Add potatoes when finished cooking and bring the pan up to a low warm
- Combine all ingredients and warm well
- Transfer to serving plate and garnish with fresh parsley and the juice of 2 small, thin slices of lemon to add brightness to the dish.
The CravOn fries blend in beautifully with all of the ingredients, and the mushrooms make this a hearty, filling side dish. The herbs and spices add the warmth and comforting flavors of fall without all the calories or fat of traditional stuffing ingredients.
For your chance to win a $250 gift card, pin in your favorite holiday recipes using inspiration from CravOn's Thanksgiving Cravings board. Use #CravOnThanksgivingFakeOut in your pin description, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00pm PST on 11/14/2014. Check out details here.
Happy Holidays and buen provecho!